Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Autumn in Yellowstone


As I said so many times even after 4 months there would be so much yet to see at Yellowstone.  Seeing the park dressed in early autumn color just made me want to visit all my favorite spots again as well.  This is the Firehole River near Biscuit Basin, a thermal basin I had not seen.  The fall grasses are just too much!

Here's the star of Biscuit Basin, Sapphire Pool, even though it's biscuits disappeared after the 1959 (?) earthquake.  Now I know why people asked where to go to see it.  Wow!


How about up close and deepest bright blue?  This was worth saving for last!  A new favorite!
Shell Spring is also a unique one- with little beads not biscuits.


The bison return to our end of the park in the fall from the eastern valleys and sometimes they like to lead the way.


The elk are constant visitors in the campground and with fewer people around I got a good photo.
What an elegant creature!


My Madison River path from the campground crosses a sea of red, tan and brown grasses with amazing rusty red dragonflies flitting along the banks.  Fly fisher people flit there too!


When we return to visit Yellowstone someday it will be in September I hope.  The crowds are fewer and the autumn colors add such richness to the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment