Sunday, December 8, 2013

Bar-B-Q and the Blue Ridge

Thanksgiving for me was a trip to North Carolina and a visit with my sisters.  I left Terry to continue our job at Williamette Mission SP in Oregon.  Jane came from Germany with Kevin for his November training in Memphis and then shared Thanksgiving and the week before in NC.  My sister Ann hosted a beautiful Thanksgiving Dinner.  It was wonderful to have all 3 of us together again, a true celebration!


It was a treat to watch the sunrises from the cabin, see a a little dusting of snow on the deck and back up to the wood stove.


I attended 2 Old Time Music concerts at the Rex Theater in Galax, VA ( about 12 miles away from the cabin), had a super hike with Nancy at the Blue Ridge Music Center on the Parkway, ate NC Bar-B-Q twice, had Fried Okra at the K&W Cafeteria and even got in a Line Dance Class with the Alleghany Jubilee Dancers.




The Christmas Season started for me in my favorite way with a Moravian Candlelight Service at Sparta Presbyterian.  We got to attend a little country church Christmas Bazaar and buy handmade ornaments too.   It was great to get such a fine sampling of NC treasures in just 15 days, but I was mighty happy to see Terry waiting at the Portland Airport.

Terry and I are looking forward to Christmas at Williamette Mission.  We've already had a little snow (on the day after my return).  We are curious to see if the park will have visitors on Christmas Day like it did on Thanksgiving.  We will open and close the Park and be the only staff for the day.   A different kind of experience for us!  Stay tuned for details!

No comments:

Post a Comment