Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Wildflowers and Whales for my Birthday

I started year number 66 with a dream come true!  We watched whales from Cape Perpetua Visitor Center and the summit of the Cape (734 ft.) for almost 2 hours.  I watched one whale blow 7 times in a row.

We went to the Visitor Center to copy the names and uses of about 20 blooming native plant samples on display.  I had questions about plants I had seen there earlier from visitors at the lighthouse.  Just as I finished the Ranger shouted, "Look at the whales out there!"  We rushed to the wall of floor to ceiling windows and in minutes the whales blew again.


The Visitor Center is the roof seen to the far left of the photo. After an hour at the Center Terry wanted to try some radioing from the summit about a mile away, (mostly straight up).
 While Terry was connecting with his Noon Net on the radio, I found the sunny overlook was a fantastic spot to see that the whale blows we had seen below were from not 1 but 2 whales.  I  had another wonderful hour to look down and watch them both.  Here's my viewpoint.


Look closely and you'll see 2 little ripples on this enhanced photo.  The whales are just breaking the surface.  My little camera did it's best.  As you can see above I am far away!


After this awesome experience we went to a lovely oceanfront restaurant that had been recommended for my birthday lunch.  As we waited for our order and gazed at the pounding waves below, another whale just swam right by only about 30 feet from the shore.  After lunch we walked the beach path among bright sea pink blooms that I saw last in North Ireland with Gwen and Darrell.

It was one sweet day!

No comments:

Post a Comment